The Cowan Simulation
500E v1.01 – Update Coming Soon!
Hi everyone. I just wanted to touch base on change-log and updates info for the 500E.
There are some minor bugs that affect a small percentage of users right now. The fixes will be in the very first update.
- Cyclic in VR. The manipulator settings inside of the “500E_vrconfig” file in the main directory needs a change to work properly. This only affects users who do not use a physical joystick or cyclic, but use only the VR controller to grab the virtual cyclic to fly. If you want to fix this issue before the update comes out then you can use what is below. Simply open the “500E_vrconfig” and replace the similar section under “YOKE”.
BEGIN_MANIP drag_xy sim/cockpit2/controls/yoke_roll_ratio sim/cockpit2/controls/yoke_pitch_ratio
YOKE_MANIP_ROTATE -0.208478 -1.458990 0.519861 1 0 0 -3 3 -0.208478 -1.458990 0.519861 0.000000 -0.000000 1.000000 3 -3
- The ADF receiver. For some reason the ADF power is randomly shutting off. Maybe corroded wires? This is being investigated and will be fixed in the first update.
- The throttle. This is just a visual flaw. If you’re using physical hardware to control the twist throttle then when at max rotation the animation will flicker. The link below can be downloaded and extracted into your main 500E directory to fix this issue. Simply extract and overwrite. Make sure you do it to both if you’re using 4K and 2K.
- Strobe. The draw order got messed up when last edits were happening so the strobe light on the tail is hidden. Sorry, this will also be in the very first update.
- If you’re having issues with the throttle mapping then make sure you follow the manual. There have been lots of users confused with this part. Mapping a hardware device to the throttle requires mapping that device to “wing sweep” NOT “throttle”. Simple fix.
- If you pull on the collective and the helicopter jumps off of the ground uncontrollably then you have not set up your collective correctly. It’s backwards. To correct this set your collective axis up by clicking the reverse check box. I know, it sounds backwards, but this axis should be reversed for most users.
- In rare cases the helicopter may “bounce” around on the ground while sitting with the engine off. If this “jittering” is happening on your machine then you need to increase the model frames as the manual states. Go to “settings”, the “general” tab, down to “flight model” then change the “flight models per frame” up a notch. If it’s still happening then up another notch until it’s not happening. This is rare for this bird but a couple people have mentioned it.
We want updates to have some weight to them so it will be a bit before these items are fixed and much more is added. No date but I will say soon. I hope you enjoy the helicopter as much as I do. She has a bright future. Stay tuned.
500E v1.00 – Initial Release 3/15/2021
This is an ongoing project and will be updated. More additions to come, like pilots and many other options. Thank you for your support.